Sunday, February 15, 2009

Dutch Oven Spicy Turkey

I tried an experiment today. I wanna say that it worked, but only sorta. I had a really hard time with the coals today and so when it looked done it wasn't.

But the experiment was the seasoning rub paste that I made up from scratch in my head. Yep. it's all mine! Not copied from someone else, not adapted from someone else, but mine! And wow, it tasted GREAT. At least, on the part of the breast that was done...

But I'm not going to beat myself up over that.

I got some good pictures, too!

Mark's Dutch Oven Spicy Turkey

14" Dutch oven

11-14 coals below
20-25 coals above

  • 1 9-12 lb turkey hen
  • 1/2 Tbsp Cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp Paprika
  • 1/2 Tbsp Tbsp Salt
  • 1/2 Tbsp Pepper
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • A handfull of fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 4-5 Green onions, chopped, up into the green
  • 2 tsp Cumin
  • Oil, to make a paste
I started by thawing the turkey. When I opened up the package, I drained it to be as dry as possible. Then I greased the interior of the dutch oven, and put the turkey in.

I got a small bowl and mixed in all of the ingredients in a second set. The amounts I listed here are approximate. I just grabbed them and shook.

I poked some holes in the skin, and then smeared the paste all over the top surface. I also spritzed some oil over the top of it all. Then I put it on the coals.

At that point, the drama began. The coals were slow lighting, and it was tough to keep them on with enough heat. It normally takes about three hours to do a turkey like this, even in the winter.

But when it was all done (or at least when I thought it was), it looked great. And it tasted great, too.

I also made rye bread, but I'll write about that another day.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great!! I have not yet tackled a full turkey in a Dutch oven. Were you able to get that classic browning of the skin? I really like that crunch .....

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I've never had any trouble getting a good brown skin on a turkey. I've heard of others that say it's hard to get it, but...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails